What I'm knitting, sewing, cooking, baking...maybe other stuff too.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dentist and Goodwill

I had an appointment with my dentist this morning; nothing serious, just a friendly little checkup kind of visit.
After I see my dentist I always visit the little Goodwill thrift store down the street from his office, and I always find goodies. Here's what I brought home today for a little more than $10.00.

I plan to make little needlework bags from the embroidered dresser scarves to put on my etsy shop, LolliePatchouli, which has zero items at the moment so there's no point looking just yet, but I'll post a link when I'm open for business, hopefully soon.

I'll add the vintage knitting needles to my growing collection. I want to make bracelets from my colorful plastic needles without mates, but so far I haven't been able to bring myself to melt and bend them. Silly me.
I love the swirly blue fabric I found hiding at the bottom of a pile of hideous mauvey flowered polyester 80's "decorator" fabrics. I think it's from the 60's or 70's, and it's got the feel and drape of a fine wool crepe, but I think it's cotton. I'll burn a few threads to figure out which fiber it is. Either way, it's gorgeous, and I've got two nice wide yards of it to play with.
I cannot resist vintage natural colored crochet cotton, so when I found 15 balls today, I bought all of them. I'm almost--but not quite--embarrassed to admit I've got dozens of similar balls of old crochet cotton. Even if I never knit lace from them, they look beautiful heaped in a big basket or wooden bowl, a great temptation for our cats, Bunky and Sookie. Bunky seems to have a special interest in today's score.

3 comments:

crazyhaberdasher said...

Lucky you! ...I love all of your goodies that you found at the Goodwill store! The doilies are gorgeous (and I couldn't bring myself to alter them so needless to say that I have a mountain full amongst my vintage sewing collection!) and I too love to look at balls of cotton. They will especially look good in one of those big glass jars (you know the kind that is used for preserves), I know because I have many in my jars!
I too have a collection of knitting needles (and crochet hooks, and tatting shuttles...etc...) but I think you already know that my big dream is to have a vintage sewing museum.
You have certainly fed my soul today, thanks so much! Happy continued collecting!!

November Girl said...

I know what you mean about doilies, I buy them with big plans, then I can't cut into them, so they end up neatly folded with all the other doilies I've bought over the years. I'm determined to make it happen THIS time!( ;
Aren't balls of cotton wonderful things? And oh, those old knitting needles...cannot resist them!
Thank you so much for visiting my blog, you've "fed my soul today" too.

Ildiko said...

awesome shot lol!he has that "may i play with them?" eyes...