What I'm knitting, sewing, cooking, baking...maybe other stuff too.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

"ms flo"




I've never been there, but when I think of Greece, I always think of sunshine. Getting to know Maria, I've come to the conclusion that some of that sunshine radiates from her. She's funny and charming, and talented and generous, and if you ask her what she sees when she looks out her window, she'll tell you she has a view of the Acropolis...can you IMAGINE?!!!
Anyway, a couple of months ago, Maria wrote to me. She'd seen my work on flickr, and asked if I'd like to take part in a project she was going to post on her blog, and would I send her a photo of my hand/hands, and said there would be questions....later. Pretty sketchy info, but she seemed so sweet, and I was curious--not to mention flattered--so I said I'd do it. Since then I've gotten to know more about Maria and her beautiful work. When one of her stuffed beings called to me recently, I asked if it was available, and lucky for me it was, so Maria and I decided to do a trade; she'd send me "ms flo", and I'd send her one of my Lollies, named "Olive". Of course we sent each other some other little goodies, which is always fun when you trade. I sent Maria some vintage needlework stuff and some other bits of this-and-that, tucked inside a wrapper from my favorite soap, "Tabac", which is made in Greece..."coals to Newcastle"...which amused Maria. Along with "ms flo", Maria sent me one of her little fabric owls, who kept "ms flo" company during her long trip to my house, and especially precious to me are the beautiful smooth pebbles from three different Greek islands, that I'll add to my collection. I may never make it to Greece, but a little bit of Greece has come to me.
If you haven't discovered Maria yet, you can check out her blog, psarokokalostudio, where you can find a link to her etsy shop--her necklaces are GORGEOUS and totally different from anything you've seen before. You can take a peek into her sunny life on flickr here.
Last, but certainly not least, if you're reading this Maria, thank you for liking my work well enough to make me part of your wonderful project, and for giving me a chance to know you better.

12 comments:

psarokokalo creative studio said...

i love you marilyn;-)

antigoni said...

Yes...maria is everything you say...:)))
I know her...

great post...!!!!

Kaja said...

Yes. I know Maria, not in person, but from the internet. And you're totally right. She's so talented!

November Girl said...

I love you too Maria! ( :

antigoni, you've probably know Maria longer than I have, but she really does "shine", doesn't she?

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

What a beautiful post!

antigoni said...

November girl...she does ...she does!!!!!

November Girl said...

Dawn, because of your comment, I'll be less hesitant to post to my blog from now on. Thank you more than I can say.

Unknown said...

how perfectly wonerful!
~Emily xx

Evrydiki said...

What a lovely post! i enjoyed so much reading it and have to say that i totally agree with every thing said about Maria! She is very artistic and creative with a unique aura!
i wish to both girls many happy creative moments!!

karuski said...

Both of you girls are super talented artists! I really enjoyed reading both Maria's and your posting. How lovely you made friends with each other and even shared goodies via trade:)

-minna

florencemary said...

Wonderful to hear that you've 'experienced' Greece, via Maria (not that I, ahem, know her!). My niece is half-Greek, and I've been over for holidays three times now - the Greek mainland and the islands are wonderful both. I've swum in the Aegean... blissful!

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with mrs Flo..

such a wonderful shape and very reminiscent of the seventies